Surreal Glass in San Francisco

This is the best of my adventure (sans camera- all I had was my cell phone) to the de Young Museum in San Francisco to enjoy the Dale Chihuly exhibit. If you haven't seen it yet, the exhibit runs through September 28th.


What struck me most was this display didn't begin to convey what Chihuly is known for- which is his performance art. His past history included, for example, floating his glass globes downstream.


"Reeds," at left ended up being my favorite because I loved the sense of peace I got staring at the birch logs and the purple reeds that seemed to be growing out of them.

His stunning work does an amazing job of marrying art and nature. We need more artists doing this kind of work that leads the observer, through beauty and color, to experience the connectedness between that which is created by humans and that which is created by Mother Nature. Hell, we need pastry chefs that do this!







































A really FANTASTIC set of photos can be found from Chris Heuer here on his Flickr site.

Comments

  1. I finally went this past weekend... we got there just before noon and the earliest time available was 5:30--it was SO worth the wait.

    My only regret is that I took my camera with me--I was more concerned about getting good shots than really experiencing the exhibit. I feel that I rushed myself.

    I agree with you about the reeds being incredibly peaceful. The last room, which acted as a compilation of everything we'd seen in the other rooms was almost overwhelming. A stunning exhibit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment