Mocha Brownies: Created, Coveted, Abandoned

Mocha brownies by Ree Drummond
The Pioneer Woman's Mocha Brownies

If you covet something:  abandon it at a party. As my second recipe attempt from my Mother's Day gift of "The Pioneer Woman Cooks" cookbook, I had many weeks of anticipation before actually getting the chance to make these. I had been dreaming of time in the kitchen to "create and see" if these brownies were as luscious as they looked in the book. I was determined and my philosophy was strong:  don't make it unless you have somewhere to take it! I was happy and we were heading to a party.

For about 2 hours (also trying to get her to nap as these baked), I tangled with a vocal and precocious toddler. The laws of Toddler Psychophysics dictate that every second not spent with your child must be filled with an equally intense display of protest intended to make you abandon whatever other passion you are indulging--and make you resume focus on your Kidlet.

She was fascinated and watched from her high chair peering into the kitchen to watch me running the mixer. She studied the eggs as I broke them into the mix. But there was fussing. There was screaming. She made ugly, high pitched noises, because she wanted my attention. There were a couple of instances of firm, frustrated Mama shouts followed by dismayed "how can you not pay full attention to me" glances from her green eyes. But I was determined to make these- icing and all. She didn't nap either--for a weekend that's normal. Holding the brownies accountable for that is really not fair.

Brownies have never been my baked item of choice, I enjoy them but they aren't at the top of the list. But I do love mocha and the call for it in the frosting--unsweetened--seduced me. The brownies turned out crunchier on the outside and moist on the inside, a rather rare good performance from our oven...or, me?! The thing I would do over however, would be the icing. I used this "Best Frosting [She's] Ever Had" recipe from Mae. Sorry Mae, whoever you are. Your frosting uses flour. I tend to think of that as if it's broccoli cheese sauce frosting. I think that's what it should be called. Fantastic Broccoli Cheese Sauce Frosting (for cupcakes and desserts).

The afterword on these brownies was (in due time once food had happened) they were devoured. Yay! If you covet something, abandon it at a party.

Comments