Wonder Full Montuno

Wonder street art in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Image by:  ceescamel. Creative Commons 4.0 license
2019 is playing in the key of Stevie. Perhaps it's a little early to start a reflection on 2019, but the year is really starting to feel signed, sealed, and delivered. Stevie's work is a montuno, playing over and over in the background to life these many months.



The light of Stevie's music draws me to it with it's undeniable and expectant positivity. He is not an artist whose music is stories of loss, longing, or heartbreak. He has a few, but when I listen and sing, I am embraced by the hope in his heart. He just wants to give his love and be himself. Here he is, Baby.

1) What are the forces in your life where your say isn't actually being included for consideration?

We are amazed but not amused by all the things you say that you'll do
Though much concerned but not involved with decisions that are made by you...

This is a song for the oppressed, the cast aside, and those our world is punishing with hypocritical lip service to the contrary. The "advocates," the "supporters" who are quietly stabbing us behind our backs. We have Justice karma and imbalance. This song is a prayer for change and for power to the voices of the people. That idea gets me to work most days.





2) What in your life if special? Are you as careful with it as you should be?

It holds the key to every heart
Throughout the universe
It fills you up without a bite
And quenches every thirst



This is the story of music for me this year. Hunger and thirst with only spiritual sustenance and expression to truly fulfill me. It can be a punishing  and awkward way to live in our material and often cruel world.

3) Were you made to love her/him/they/it?

'Cause I was made to love her
I was made to live for her, yeah!
Ah, I was made to love her
Build my world all around her



Your life was empty before you watched this James Jamerson bass visualization wasn't it? You're welcome.

4) Do you miss your old childhood hoodlum friends and the mischievous antics of youth? How can you bring these feelings back into your life now?

I wish those days could come back once more
Why did those days ever have to go



I was recently told there was no way I could sneak in through the back door and go unnoticed any more. No more aura control and presence cloaking? Awwwww, darn!

5) Are the seasons of your life (your profession, your familial roles, your friendships, your hobbies, your neighborhoods, something else) changing?

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changin' ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?



This other Stevie came to me as Rumors on my Mom's turntable. This song spoke to me at 15. It continues to chatter at me in new dimensions as the years steamroll onward.

6) What are you worried about? Is it something you're putting yourself through? 

Everybody needs a change
A chance to check out the new
But you're the only one to see
The changes you take yourself through



I am convinced that very few of us would leap into anything we couldn't actually handle in life. That's my meditation.

This steeplechase song is next month's adventure. My vocal chords get to be the horse and Stevie's writing take me over the 5 foot hedge and then down 7 feet and through the 1' of water at the base of the other side of the hedge. I take 2 strides and then drop another 15 feet down.

This song is, ironically, my big challenge for December. But it will be the sustenance I've needed for some months.



Comments