On a Mission from Pie


Octopie by Michael Roger Press, Decomposition Book
"Black bottom crust is like a microcosm of life," they say. Actually there is no "they." I wrote that. For me, dessert has to have meaningful connection, story, charisma, and intrigue (when it's in season and locally grown). I'm looking back on 2 decades of pie journeys at George Washington pie.

That pie was part of the Pies That Evoke Dreams project. A blogging fundraiser for Pie Ranch. At the time, Pie Ranch ingredients were being sent up to the City to be created into the fabulous pies coming out of Mission Pie, a San Francisco institution that is now closing for good on September 1st. They were on a mission from pie.

Slouching Toward Pie-lehem [Pie + Bethlehem]

My post-Millenium march of terror was especially defined by double crusts.  I moved to the west coast with barely the idea of how to handle a store-bought Graham cracker crust on my back. I started slowly, reproducing Mom's Spring Pie almond crust and over the years baked conservatively--always just one crust. With many stops along the way, my best mentor into the double crust realm was this Shaker Lemon.

It taught me, double-crusts aren't really something to be afraid of. Under the welcoming pastry course rafters of SF Cooking School helped as well.

(Second crusts, second comings. That works for this bit...moving on).

I was looking for what I loved. Whatever it was, it's gone.

The Fall energy of cutting down and harvesting (okay sorting, organizing and cleansing) is pushing through peripherally. The growing things are speaking more urgently, getting ready to accelerate in reverse of expansion. Persephone is packing her bags and a few groups of leaves are swaying, red-tinged as early warning system that change in on the way. Here in the Bay that means it's actually getting hotter and drier--the real endurance is yet to arrive for our intense September and October Summer.



I'll let Greg Brown let you feel what I do about changing seasons, changing decades, places + portraits of broken dreams of come hither and come yon.

"I would offer my prayer to the Corn Goddess tonight
Bu they chopped off her head and stuck her body out on the lawn
I was looking for what I loved...
[Whatever it was, it's gone]."

All his amazeball lyrics for the song are here.

Mark the calendar, I actually tested a pie 

Gasp. I actually tested a pie recipe on the neighbors this month. I'm getting so boring and risk averse wanting to make sure things taste good ahead of time. It must be the economy.

The occasion:  National Night Out (for the edible win, FTEW). I don't really know what I was afraid of--combining 3 recipes into one... but whatever. We change as we get older, maybe some prudence is in order (mmm Prudence Pie! #idea)

Inspired by my neighbor who asked me to revive Pan de Coco, I fell at the feet of...coconut. And then, about 2 3/4 cups of life events later (not sifted), Custard Pie started making demands. Of course I was also listening to it too (over and over). The Black Crowes do a lovely cover.

I sure do wish I was at home
I don't care what the neighbors say
I'm gonna love you each and every day
You can feel the beat within my heart

(Nectarines from my tree)

I guess I don't care what anybody says because now I've lost the links to the 3 recipes I used! Something had to give for going to the trouble of making a test pie.

Except the coconut custard really was excellent and I found the recipe  here on Spruceeats. Use whatever crust recipe makes you happy and top the pie with nectarines (you can even grill them a little), blackberries and roasted coconut shavings.

What the neighbors got? Well, I don't care what they say (they didn't speak, they just ate  devoured). That's the kind of silence I want to hear!

Sadly, if you aren't a neighbor, I couldn't 'save you a slice,' but I'll leave you with this.



Don't forget that morning gown, Baby.





Comments