Underwakening



skeleton candle sculpture in a tree trunk hollow
Skeleton passage between worlds, by Rachel Medanic

For centuries, bread has united us. And ironically, it has to be divided to be shared. There is an underwakening happening. I'm exploring the darkness alongside baked traditions.

In these cool November nights, our deepest human polarities have arrived. Our demons have come out into the light. It is a time of great sadness, darkness, shock and despair. Instead of avoiding and running away, I am symbolically moving toward the darkness. I welcomed Dia de los Muertos this year with gratitude, generosity and an open heart.

Venturing deep into Oakland's Fruitvale, I indulged for the first time ever in eating Pan due Muerto from Pena's bakery. It was lovely but it also got me thinking a lot about how bread is important in so many cultures.

Pan de muerto bread

In the case of Pan de Muerto, it symbolizes the remnants of our loved ones' now deceased bodies. May we not forget those who have passed away.

Pan de Muerto, Panettone's Cousin?
Pan de Muerto's ingredients bear a lot of similarities to Italian Panettone, but the meanings and ritual histories of each are quite different. Around this time of year some years back I did have a run in with panettone. It was at a party. It  was lavishly dressed in lingonberry. Paired together one is a bread of darkness and the underworld, the other of light and celebration (well, a guy named Toni and celebrating special dietary occasions). The occasion for me remains- I try to avoid wheat as much as I can these days.

What's Your History of Bread?
What role does it play in your own family's history? In my family that has been in the US for 7 generations, we baked Sally Lunn for end-of-year holidays--like Thanksgiving and Christmas. But those recipes are off, we never included cream.

When you find yourself next baking bread, ponder how bread happens, how it gets eaten and how you share it. Does the symbolism feel ironic? If you're out there exploring bread, share your thoughts and insights- I welcome them.



Comments