Eschewing the Black Beauty, Part 2

A continuation of adventures turning car situation lemons into ...the Black Beauty.

Day 11:
I don't believe in trashing anything, but like most people with kids and a busy life my car is not always spotless. The inclinations to keep the Beauty clean are real. It's weird and frankly odd to see groceries placed in the trunk. I've never had such a perfect trunk.

"Mac resisting a leg aid" by lostinfog Creative Commons 2.0 license
Day 12:
When I ride horses as big as Lulu (shown in Part 1 of my first post about the Black Beauty), there is a distinct sensation of the warmth of the animal oh... about mid inside calf. You feel contact with the warm body and how the horse is moving. It's a rider thing. When I drive the Beauty, the same place but roughly on my outer calf vibrates with the base from music with a beat. It's a remarkable sensation of energy, regardless of where it hits you. So notice:  when becoming one with your "beasts," be they mechanical or animal, where the energies of touch happen on your body.

Day 13:
When you change outward signals, people notice. People are curious about the Black Beauty. People around me every day want to confirm that...she's just a rental. Because to jump from an economy brand of car to a luxury one is just too big. People want to know why because there is a status and image disruption that comes with changing cars. And...people...notice.

All the signals and experiences brands like Chrysler and Honda have worked decades and spent millions of dollars to create come into question when suddenly someone in the world acts out...by upgrading. Have I changed? Have my values shifted? Do I just not fucking care about the environment anymore? To argue that it does actually happen, I recall a quote from one of my Early Women Investors. As she aged into her 70s, she decided to buy a Jaguar. Her story to herself and others about this was "If not now [self], when?!"

Entry 14 (I drive her every day but daily anecdotes have fallen away)
My daughter says the Black Beauty's failing is that she is not a Pink Beauty. She loves however, the way you can pull music from my phone into the vehicle's sound system. I'm sure market demand for Pink Black Beauties is surely off the charts.

Entry 15
I know my time with the Beauty is coming to an end so I went driving one afternoon. Yes, gas guzzler that she is. I was leaving Trader Joe's where I watched a homeless man wander in and scrap for pennies to buy a fruit strip. What I love MOST about the Beauty is the sense of irony and bemusement she gives me because of all she represents paired with me. A match even God scratches her head to see. Sleek, beautiful and luxurious, combined with a renegade mischief making woman doing her best to be classily mis-behaved. I threw a Trader Joe's card onto my order and listened as the security guard and cashiers mentioned the man often would come in.


  • I enlisted their help in catching him as he walked out the door so I could give him a card enough for two meals. 
  • Driving up into some of Oakland's hilly, wealthy areas, I came upon a leash-less, collared small white dog. He wandered into the street and seemed to acknowledge sounds but had no sense of danger. Clearly, he was blind. I pulled the Beauty over and he gently smelled me and didn't squirm as I picked him up.  I walked to the nearest house and motioned 'your dog?' as a woman across the intersection shouted, "Is that dog lost?!?!" Whatever acts of kindness I'm performing, driving to and from them in the Beauty make me feel like Batman all over.



Comments