Bacon Strawberry Rhubarb, With Love
So I took that sentiment and added it to this strawberry rhubarb cobbler recipe in honor of Mother's Day. Pulling out the long, red stalks I wondered if I'd be able to make anything tasty out of this weird fregetable (fruit+vegetable). Rhubarb is...a cranberry dressed up in celery clothing. My Mom loves strawberry rhubarb pie, so I went for the cobbler. Mom is across the country but, you know, it's the thought (attempt) that counts. And that way no harm done if it was a total flop, right? Can't taste it 3K miles away, can ya?
My first attempt at the bacon twist was to adapt just the garnishes from this Simply Recipes submission from "Elise." I added apple-smoked bacon bits and sour cream to the outside. My Honey said, "Yum but...." That was my cue to go again and I realized changing just the garnishes was yin, feminine, subtle, a demonstration of soft-power. Mother's Day-like.
So I punched it up for all the Fathers out there--here's to Father's Day: Comfort food that knows how to wield its bacon! Yang. Hard power. Testosterone. Bacon dancing its salty smoked goodness cheek-to-cheek with the tart strawberry and rhubarb.
Here's what I changed from the original:
- Reduce the butter in the cobbler part by half and replace with warm bacon fat.
- Added bacon bits into the actual fruit mixture
- Instead of whipped cream, I topped with sour cream
Here are some other strawberry rhubarb creations that storm the sacred dessert castle!
- What's for Lunch, Honey's Strawberry Rhubarb Tiramisu. Looks like it could rock the house.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Baked French Toast from Two Peas and Their Pod.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake Ice Cream from Elle's New England Kitchen
- Laylita.com's Strawberry Rhubarb Empanada
- Strawberry Rhubarb Doughnuts from South Philly's Federal Doughnuts
- I also had to share this wacky Klingon Steamed Bread (called Aaktay). If you read through it, it's clear the Klingons were trying to replicate New England Brown Bread, but instead with bran. Bread to keeps you oh-so-regular, no?
- Finally, one of my favorite Oakland restaurants (fusion of Southern and California cuisines) Hibiscus offers Spring Jam- it's a drink, behold: