My Old Kentucky Home






Derby Day is something special to my family- except that those who were of the generation to throw Derby parties have long since passed. My grandmother was raised in Port Royal Kentucky and to raise 3 children and be married, she lived in Arkansas.

I think there is a ripple in the winds conveyed by this year's winner, Barbaro (isn't he beautiful?). This horse was undefeated in 6 starts and he took this race as calm and relaxed if he were getting a hoofacure in homestretch- he's working, but not very hard! Watch the race!

I'm a blushing fool for horses. Never got to have one as a child so I still dream about the day when I will. I've studied how they move, gallop and act for years. Never in 50 years has an undeafeated horse running in the Derby upheld that record through the Derby.

I tuned in late but still managed to pick the show horse without seeing the entire field: Steppenwolfer. Because I've followed the Derby and horses for many years, I consider myself shamed if I can't pick at least one horse in the money- it means I'm not worth my psychic mettle. I think the winds of tremendous change are blowing in our country right now and that Barbaro's future victories may be a focal point for that; they are an indicator of a year of rare occurrences.

I also have to address this Derby's corporate sponsor, Yum Brands, as protested by Pam Anderson (often affiliated with PETA). She boycotted the event to protest the ethics of KFC and the treatment of horses. I often don't agree with PETA tactics, but I have to thank Pam for the principle of raising her voice. Thoroughbreds are born to run- she's off on that one; but I do give credit to what Co-op America has to say about Yum's filthy house of brands. Pam and PETA do serve a purpose in defining one edge of the hegemony of activism for animals-there is a place in the paradigm for them, despite my strong feeling that they also may be the few among a majority who are getting animal activists (including myself) mis-labeled.

The picture of him winning is a photograph of TV reception I'm getting through my computer- pretty nifty except that I get the big 3 networks, channels where they are broadcasting in Chinese or Spanish are crystal clear, and I don't get much else- except the Tyra Banks talk show on 36. Now is that a reason to running screaming toward blogging as entertainment or what?